Background

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cupid's Corner

Sorry for hogging this but only the strong survive.
haha :)

I started a new devotion plan today...I chose one not even specifically tailored to me but just SOMEthing to get me started on a regular reading plan because like so many things, I clearly cannot do this on my own.

Today's reading was on the harlot Joanna and the story I've heard a bunch of times...you know, she was the town hoochie mama and stalked Jesus for the perfect moment to sneak attack him and wash his feet in expensive perfume. 2011 version.
Anyway, it's a great story to show His compassion and love and that you can never stray too far–He will always love you. I can identify with being a sinner but I don't have a brothel on my resume so this story has never truly hit home for me.
The closing of my devotion is what got me though:

She made quite a spectacle of herself that day. I can imagine that it took her a long while to make her plans and then to carry them out.

I'm prone to say, "What courage." But no. It wasn't courage that drove Joanna to Simon's house.  
It was love.

And so the unnamed harlot lives on through biblical history . . . while princes and procurators and scribes and Pharisees, mighty men and strong men and wise men and rich men, are all long since forgotten. Her only claim to fame? 

She loved [too] much.


I added the too because that's how I read it first and what made me smile. We're told over and over to 'guard our hearts' and 'not get in too deep' and 'play hard to get, never let him see you sweat'. All the silly girl love stuff is laughed at and I'm chalked up to being naive and far too hopeful. 


I once read that it's not what you did or achieved that people remember but how you made them feel.
If my greatest demise in this lifetime is loving too much, so be it. 


-Tiana
I'm just a girl and I'm gonna love you whether you like it or not

1 comment:

  1. CUPIDS CORNER! BAHAHAHAHAA =]

    perfect.
    T, this is amazing. i blogged a lil bit ago about the exact same story from the bible! amazing.

    as i was running yesterday i started thinking about how i told myself to only love objects that couldn't break my heart. for example, lamp, my camera, the gorgeous utah mountains. (i'm a fool/onto something genius??) so yesterday i was thinking, but being in love or feeling love is the greatest gift we have been given and love is what motivates all things. i would surely be missing out on so much if i never let myself love again just because of some lame male that decided to rip the poor thing out of my chest. plop that puppy back in and get the blood flowin!! this girl is open for business!

    and GOOD FOR YOU with creating a new scripture study plan! what a good example you are to me and others! i feel like i am always fighting to keep at my daily reading! it's the best though and so rewarding!


    well written beautiful! and let the love flow like the mississippi!

    ReplyDelete